Can Dogs Eat Peanuts

Can Dogs Eat Peanuts

Let’s know about Can Dogs Eat Peanuts. The short answer is yes. Peanuts, unlike other nuts, are not toxic to dogs. As with any new food, it is always wise to introduce it to your dog slowly, so that you can easily determine if your dog is allergic or has trouble digesting them.

What Kinds of Peanuts Are Safe for My Dog?

As with everything, moderation is key. Some peanuts are safe for dogs to eat. Peanuts and peanut butter can be an excellent sources of protein and healthy fats for your dog. However, dogs have a more difficult time digesting fat. A high concentration of fat can cause stomach issues which may include vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, and anorexia. If you are feeding your dog peanuts, give them unprocessed, unsalted nuts that are raw, boiled, or dry-roasted. You also want to avoid giving them peanuts with the shell on. The shells can be a choking hazard and can irritate if swallowed.

What Kind of Peanut Butter Is Safe for My Dog?

While most peanut butter brands are safe for dogs, not all types of peanut butter are safe. Along with peanuts, peanut butter and peanut butter dog treats should be fed in moderation with a healthy balanced diet. Try putting some peanut butter on applesauce for a healthy treat.


Some peanut butter brands contain an ingredient called Xylitol, which is toxic to dogs and can be fatal if eaten in even small amounts. Always check the label before giving your dog peanut butter, and don’t give them any if xylitol is not listed in the ingredients. You want to avoid peanut butter with chocolate. Peanut butter without the xylitol or chocolate is a wonderful treat and most dogs love it. Here are some tips on how to use peanut butter for dogs.

  • Medicine: When medicating your dog, hide it in a small amount of delicious peanut butter.
  • Enrichment: Spread something into a puzzle toy like a kong. This will provide your dog with enrichment and help keep them entertained for a while. You can also freeze your puzzle toys to make them more difficult for the dog.
  • Distraction: Since many dogs love peanut butter, this can be a high-value treat to help the dog feel more comfortable and form positive associations with experiences many dogs do not enjoy, such as Nail trim and baths. For example, spread some peanut butter on the tile in the tub for your dog.

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is a naturally occurring substance widely used as a sugar substitute. Chemically, it is a sugar alcohol and is found naturally in berries, plums, corn, oats, mushrooms, lettuce, trees, and some other fruits. It is commonly used in many chewing gums, mints, toothpaste, and some peanut butters. Although xylitol is fine for human consumption, it is highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, or even death in dogs. If you suspect that your pet has ingested a product containing Xylitol, please contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) immediately.

Can Dogs Have Peanut Allergies?

Like humans, dogs can also be allergic to peanuts. Although peanut allergies are uncommon in dogs, it is still good to be aware of the symptoms. This allergy can be serious. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include red and itchy skin, excessive licking of the skin, bald spots, agitation, and in severe cases, difficulty breathing. In short, dogs can be given peanuts as an occasional treat, provided they are fresh, unpeeled and unsalted. If this is your dog’s first time eating peanuts, give only a few to see how your dog reacts.